Thursday, June 12, 2014

Sailing on Lake Lanier without a motor

The day started off with almost no wind. At once point we got a tow from a passing fishing boat. Then, around 3 pm, the wind picked up and got to around 10 mph. But it didn't stop there! A storm appeared on the horizon around 6, just as I was trying to put the boat back on her trailer. I missed, due to too much wind pushing the boat and then got blown into a lagoon. No amount of tacking with the jib could get me out. Wind speeds approached 40 mph. Lines were tangled. I was only very barely in control. In the end, I edged to shore and tied up on a root. Once the wind died back down (after the storm), I paddled back to the trailer and got everything loaded back up.


Note that all of this experience falls under the category, "No motor." I've bought a trolling motor that pushes at 40 pounds. That's the next experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment