Sunday, June 8, 2014

My first sailboat

I bought my first sailboat from a fellow who lived in view of Lake Lanier, which is a man made body of water in Georgia named after the poet Sydney Lanier. I paid $500. The boat was a Moth racing class boat 11 feet long. Really I should not be writing in the past tense because I still own her. Mr. Sneezy rests just outside, in my backyard. We have taken about four (4) splashes in a little lake 10 minutes from my home in Athens, GA.  I've hung a detergent bottle atop her mast. This was part of my strategy to avoid sinking after capsizing.  Also I have an exercise ball mounted in the bow. Yes, she tips over easily! (I also started carrying a bailing bucket because she self rights fine the first time, but not after shipping water.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment